Fall is finally here! I’m so ready to go squash crazy in the kitchen this year. Butternut squash is one of my absolute favorite things to cook up in the fall. Like my hubby, it’s naturally sweet and nutritious – I can’t get enough of it!
Unfortunately, it can be a real hassle to prepare. If you’re a super busy mama like me, you’ll be happy to know that several grocers, including Trader Joe’s, sell pre-cut and peeled butternut squash.
Why butternut squash?
- It’s loaded with vitamins A and C, both of which help strengthen your respiratory system during cold and flu season
- It has dietary fiber that needed for a healthy digestive system (think less bloating and gas). Healthy digestion = strong immunity!
- It’s a good source of magnesium, which promotes better sleep, lowers anxiety and reduces stress
Don’t wait until Thanksgiving to enjoy some yummy squash. Here’s one of my favorite quick and easy butternut squash recipes that’s perfect as a side dish or snack! It’s too sweet to pass up 🙂
Roasted Sweet Squash Bites
This is an easy recipe, but it requires about 50-60 minutes to cook so make them ahead of time and reheat.
- 1 butternut squash
- 1-2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Peel, seed and cut butternut squash into 1 in. chunks (comment on pre-cut/peeled butter squash to ignore this step or alter it somehow?).
- Toss well with 1-2 tbs. of extra virgin olive oil.
- Spread in baking pan (glass, ceramic or rimmed cookie sheet)
- Sprinkle pumpkin pie spice over top.
- Cook at 375°F for 50-60 mins.